Emergency Call 9-1-1
Non-Emergency Calls (902) 629-4172

Police Headquarters 10 Kirkwood Drive Charlottetown, P.E.I. C1A 2T3

Police Headquarters

10 Kirkwood Drive
Charlottetown, P.E.I.
C1A 2T3


Call 9-1-1


Call (902) 629-4172

Frequently Asked Questions

About Cell Phones & Other Hand Held Devices

What is allowed or not allowed under the new law?

Allowed – Hand-held devices can be used if the vehicle is lawfully parked on the shoulder of the road and out of traffic. The other option is to go hands-free. 

Not Allowed – You cannot use hand-held wireless communication devices while driving a vehicle including those capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, email or text messages. This also includes GPS Units. 

What does hands-free mean?

Hands-free means you can add a tool to your cellular, smart phone or other communication device to allow you to use it with one touch. You can also use the Speaker option on your device. You will have to dial the number using verbal or one-touch commands. The intention is to ensure that you can safely use the communication device without distraction from driving. 

What are these hands-free tools and are they expensive?

You have several options. You can use an ear piece, a headset, a Blue Tooth or a through-vehicle sound system. Prices start at $30. 

What about 2-way radios?

The law does not apply to any communication device that is linked to a non-public short wave radio communication system, i.e. CB radio. 

What about my Global Positioning System (GPS)?

You can use your GPS system only if the driver is not typing or inputting information while driving. 

What about my Global Positioning System (GPS)?

You can use your GPS system only if the driver is not typing or inputting information while driving. 

Does this law apply to all drivers?

Yes, everyone except emergency personnel in the course of their duties. If you operate an emergency vehicle, Ambulance, a Fire or Police Vehicle, this law does not apply to you in the execution of your job. 

Can I use a hand-held phone when I am stationary in traffic?

No, driving includes time when stopped at traffic lights or during other hold-ups.

About Taxi Licenses

How do I go about obtaining a taxi driver license?

The applications are at our office and have to be filled out and signed by the cab company that you will be working for.  You are required to provide us with a copy of your driver’s license, a driver’s abstract from Highway Safety dated within the last 30 days.

What is the cost for a taxi driver license?

The fee for a taxi license is $200 if you are putting your own vehicle in and $100 if you are just driving a vehicle for someone else.

What is the processing time for a taxi driver application?

Generally they are ready within a couple of days.

About Child Safety Seats

How do I know if my child safety seat is installed correctly?

It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:

  1. Choose the appropriate child safety seat according to the weight, height and age of the child.
  2. When using a child car seat, make sure that the seat is tightly secured by the vehicle seatbelt or by the Universal Anchorage System (UAS).  For forward-facing car seats, ensure the tether strap is also used.  The installed child car seat should move no more than 2.5 cm (1 inch) where the seatbelt or UAS strap is routed through the child car seat.
  3. Place the child in the child car seat, ensuring the harness straps lie flat with no more than 1 finger space between the harness and the child’s collarbone (rear-facing) or chest (forward-facing).

Always follow the vehicle owner’s manual and the child car seat manufacturer’s instructions for correct installation and use of the child safety seat.

What are the child safety seat and booster seat requirements for PEI?

Under Prince Edward Island’s (PEI) Highway Traffic Act:

  • Rear-Facing – Children must ride in a rear-facing car seat until they are a minimum of 10 kg (22 lb).
  •  Forward-Facing – Children weighing 10 kg (22 lb) or more, but less than 18 kg (40 lb) must ride in a forward-facing seat.
  • Booster Seat – Effective January 1, 2008, Children must ride in a booster seat if they are over 18 kg (40 lb), are 9 years of age or less and are less than 145 cm (57 inches). Please note that maximum weight is based on booster seat manufacturer’s recommendations.

About Collision Reporting

When should a driver report a collision to Police?

The Highway Traffic Act of Prince Edward Island requires that all collisions involving injury or death, or where the damage apparently exceeds $2,000.00 (combined), where there is damage to highway property or when accident involves a Hit & Run situation.  

What steps need to be taken when a collision occurs and their is minor damage and no injuries?
  1. Check the list of conditions above to determine if it is necessary to report the incident to police.
  2. If it is safe to do so, remove the vehicle(s) from the roadway. If any vehicle cannot be moved or it is not safe to move it, call the police and await further instructions.
  3. Exchange information with the other driver(s). Ensure you gather as much information about the other driver and any available witnesses, including name, address, home and business phone numbers, vehicle information and insurance information

About Record Checks and Pardons

How do I go about getting a criminal record check for employment?

If it is for employment purposes, you can attend in person to one of two firms:

C5 ID and Fingerprinting Solutions Inc. at 393 University Ave – Unit # 11 Charlottetown, PEI, call 902-892-1211 or visit their website at www.c5id.com  


IdentoGO By IDEMIA at 119 Kent Street, Suite 160, Charlottetown, PEI, call (902) 892-0002 or visit their website at www.fingerprinting.ca and click on PEI for more information. Your must provide two pieces of identification; one has to be a photo ID.

How do I go about getting a criminal record check for volunteering?

You can attend the Charlottetown Police Services, 10 Kirkwood Drive during normal business hours and fill out a Criminal Background Check Form.  Please bring a photocopy of two forms of ID, one being a photo ID (SIN card is not accepted).  We also require a letter from the organization on their letterhead (signed and dated) who you will be volunteering for, including your name. 

Persons under 18 – record checks can only be done for persons who are compensated or volunteering for Municipal, Provincial or Federal Governments.  

What is the processing time for a criminal record check?

Generally it is ready within a week and we will call you when it is ready for pickup.

How do I apply for a pardon?

Pardon booklets are obtained from Corrections Canada but there is a sheet in the booklet that pertains to a “local record check” and if at some point in time you were a resident of Charlottetown then you would need to fill out this form and bring it with a copy of a photo ID for processing which generally takes three weeks.

About Bicycle Helmet Law

Who has to wear a safety helmet?

Anyone riding a bicycle, regardless of age, whether a cyclist or a passenger, must wear an approved bicycle safety helmet regardless of where the bicyclist is cycling.

Does a child in a trailer, pulled by a bicycle, require a safety helmet?

The law is for riders and passengers. A child in a trailer is considered a passenger and must wear an approved safety helmet.

Who pays the fine?

Parents are responsible for children under the age of 16 who ride without an approved bicycle helmet. Adults aged 16 and older who ride without an approved helmet could be fined.

How much is the fine?

The fine is $50 – $100.

About Parking

What are the times that I have to pay parking meters?

From 8am – 6pm.

What coins do the parking meters accept?

Loonies and quarters only.

What is the fine for a meter violation?

$10 if paid within 7 days – $20 after 7 days.

What if a parking meter is not working?

Any problems with the parking meters should be reported to us either by phone or in person.

Where can I pay my parking ticket?

Parking tickets can be paid at the Charlottetown Police Services at 10 Kirkwood Drive, at City Hall – 199 Queen Street or online at https://paypark.charlottetown.ca/pay/

What method of payment do you accept for parking ticket payment?

We accept cash, debit, cheque, Visa, Mastercard or American Express.

What information do I need in order to pay my ticket online?

You will need your license plate # and your parking ticket # and your credit card #.

What if I want to contest a ticket – what is the procedure?

You can print  the dispute form online or  it can be obtained at the front desk at the Charlottetown Police Services, 10 Kirkwood Drive or at the front desk at City Hall, 199 Queen that needs to be filled out – and you will be notified by telephone of the result of your dispute.

What are the hours for me to pay my parking ticket?

We are open from 8am – 4:30pm on winter hours and 8am – 4pm on summer hours and as well as we have two after hours night drops for payment  – one at City Hall and one at the Charlottetown Police Services.

When is the overnight parking ban in effect?

November 15 until April 15.

How do I obtain a residential parking permit and what is the cost?

In order to qualify for a residential parking permit you must have no off-street parking available to you and your registration for your vehicle must have the same address as the address where you are applying for the permit.  The cost is $50 for a first time applicant and renewals. 

You may apply for a permit by filling out the Residental Parking Permit Application Form (click to open a pdf form).  Once completed, you can drop the form off at Charlottetown Police Department on 10 Kirkwood Drive during the week between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. 

When do the residential parking permits have to be renewed?

The permits have to be renewed before the end of December each year.

About Internet Safety

I received an unsolicited e-mail from a foreign country or a financial institution. Is this email legitimate?

This type of e-mail was not likely intended specifically for you but it is a well known “scam” that preys on hopeful people.

Although it may seem you are the personal recipient of one of these e-mails, it is most likely that the intended recipient was an entire group of people in a group mailbox at your internet service provider, such as Rogers, Bell, Yahoo, Hotmail, Execulink, Excite, or other email service providers.

You can simply choose to ignore this e-mail and delete it from your e-mail program AND/OR you may wish to forward this on to the Police Services for  information purposes.

Please note that this type of complaint is well known to police.

I received e-mail about child/adult pornography and I never asked for this email to be sent to me. What do I do?

It is likely that the e-mail message you received was actually destined for a “group e-mail account” which is often the case for “SPAM” (unsolicited e-mail). If you are the holder of a Hotmail, Yahoo or Excite free e-mail account, then you were likely not the intended recipient.

If you have a Hotmail account, then you should consider setting up filters to weed out unsolicited e-mail. If you use Outlook Express as your e-mail reader, then you can setup Message Rules through the Tools menu.

You can simply choose to ignore this e-mail and delete it from your e-mail program AND/OR you may wish to forward this on to the Technological Crimes Unit for information purposes.

I am concerned about my kids using Chat programs. What can I do to ensure their safety?

The following are rules and tips parents should review with their children:

  1. Don’t give out information about yourself like your last name, your phone number, where you live, or where you go to school – without asking your parents first.
  2. Never e-mail a picture of yourself to strangers.
  3. Uncomfortable? Don’t look around or explore. Did someone text you, send you anything, or did you see anything to make you uneasy and uncomfortable. Get your parents instead – they know what to do.
  4. Do not make plans to meet!  Making plans to meet your internet buddies in real life is usually a really bad idea. They are strangers and people in real life can be very different from who they pretend to be online. If you decide to do it anyway, have your mom or dad help make the plans and go with you.
  5. Don’t open up e-mails, files, or web pages that you get from people you don’t really know or trust.
  6. Don’t ever give out your password, except to responsible adults in your family.
  7. Always follow your family’s rules for the Internet – they’re there to make sure you have fun and stay safe online.
  8. Surfing the internet is free, so do not spend money.   Don’t ever do anything that could cost your family money unless your parents are there to help you do it.