Charlottetown Police Services has seen a slight increase in complaints of lumber being stolen over the last few weeks. With lumber prices at an all time high, it may become a new commodity that thieves will target more regularly now.
The general public, especially contractors are encouraged to take extra precautions to deter thefts, especially at new construction job sites. Some preventative tips may include:
- installation of video surveillance
- installation or increase lighting at the job site during night time
- secure the perimeter with fencing if possible/feasible
- make it difficult to steal, lock it up if possible
- plan deliveries, attempt to have materials on site only when ready to use so it doesn’t stay laying around for too long
- make friends with neighbours if possible and ask for them to report suspicious activity when no one is on site
The public is encouraged to report suspicious activity.