With the winter season upon us, Charlottetown Police Services wish to offer the public some tips to follow when driving in ice and snow conditions. If you can stay off the roads during snow fall, do so, if not, please follow a few safety tips:
- Before heading out, make sure all windows are clear of snow and ice to increase visibility and reduce the chance of ice becoming airborne and possibly hitting another vehicle.
- Install good winter rated tires and ensure windshield washer fluid is topped up.
- SLOW DOWN, speed limits reflect ideal conditions, not wet, icy and snowy conditions. Allow yourself more time to arrive at your destination.
- Maintain a good distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, stopping distance increases under winter conditions.
- Pay attention – keep your eyes on the road and traffic ahead of you, distracted driving accounts for a large number of vehicle collisions.